Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Saturday, August 15, 2015

A Finish for the Week!

This week I was able to finish an older work in progress that I started way back in 2013!  So happy to have it completed!  This quilt is based on a tutorial called Bold Braid by Kelly of My Quilt Infatuation. I added an extra border all the way around the original quilt to make it a little bigger.  I think it is a lovely, calm feeling quilt, and hopefully perfect for my friend's grandbaby boy who was born in May.  (He's only 3 months old, so that's not too late for a gift, right?!)


I pieced the back out of some leftover yardage from my stash.  The yellow plaid comes from the Hello Sunshine line from Connecting Threads that most of the front is made of.  The blue is a fun polka dot that I used to back and bind my Hungry Caterpillar Quilt.  It seemed to fit with the blues and yellows this quilt is filled with.



I quilted it with my usual, straight line quilting along most of the seams.  It made kind of a neat pattern as I followed the herringbone blocks along.


This shows a close-up of the main fabrics in the Hello Sunshine collection that I got.  They are some of my favorite fabrics ever, which makes it hard to give this quilt away.  I did end up with plenty of scraps, though, so these fabrics will show up in other places, for sure!  It really is a good feeling to finish up something that has been in my pile of projects for a very long time!


7 comments:

Tanya Quilts in CO said...

I love it! Good job knocking out a UFO.

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

It always feels so good to finish up an older project. It looks great!

gayle said...

It really is satisfying to finish a UFO. Yours looks great!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Thanks so much, Gayle! It's nice to cross something off the list! Now I can go play in my scrap bin once again!

Linda said...

Nice fabric choices - I love your colors! I know what you mean about having to give away a quilt with a favorite fabric. It makes us noble - lol,

Sandra Walker said...

I love that braid pattern. The quilting looks SO cool on the back, you're right! I did a couple of hot mats using he braid design and found it just so cool. Hey that pattern is on Moda Bakeshop, Herringbone Hot Pads(?) so maybe you could make some of those with your scraps. Very good of you to give something you love so much away...reminds me of the last 2 quilts I did...I still hope to recreate them for me. So many quilts so little time!

Lara B. said...

It's so interesting to see the different effect of the far away and the close up view Diann. It is a sweet and calming quilt for sure! I particularly like the way your quilting looks against the back (LOL and your straight lines look perfect to me!)