Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Sunday, September 10, 2017

A Tote Bag for Fall

A couple of years ago, I stopped buying purses when I wanted a new one, and started making tote bags from the Missouri Star Quilt Company tutorial, "Make 3 Totes from One Charm Pack."  (This is easy to find if you go to their YouTube channel!)

Earlier this week, I decided it was time to retire my Watermelon Tote bag that I made in July of 2016 -


and make a new one for fall!  I made this one a little taller and a little wider than the original pattern, and I liked the size and shape it became, so I did the same with my new one.

I started with 16 red, brown, and orange charms from a charm pack of Miniature Gatherings by Moda and added some of the dark red with cream stars that I had leftover from my 4th of July projects as the top and bottom borders.  


Some simple quilting to a scrap piece of batting, a coordinating lining, and a fat quarter to make some inner pockets - 


makes a very functional tote bag/purse that will last me quite a long time!  This bag measures about 15.5" wide x 12.5" tall, and 3.5" wide at the bottom.


One thing I may add that I have found helpful in the past is a magnetic clasp to keep the top of my tote bag from gaping open.  I can recycle one from an older bag that I'm no longer using - that sounds like a good Sunday afternoon project!

Linking up - Oh Scrap! at Quilting is More Fun than Housework










10 comments:

gayle said...

You can never have too many tote bags! 8)

Anonymous said...

A local group here in Wichita KS is making tote bags from donated fabrics to leave in grocery stores .. free.. to reduce the use of plastic sacks.

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

Perfect colors for fall. I should make some tote bags myself. Thanks for sharing the link to the tutorial with Oh Scrap!

margaret said...

maybe this is why I keep buying charm packs none of which have ever been used!

Vicki in MN said...

I too have not bought a purse in years, probably close to 12 or more. It's fun to use and advertise we like to make things isn't it. Yours is perfect for the fall.

Linda said...

So pretty!! I love tote bags and have retired my "nice" purse to carry either the tote I made myself or the old diaper tote my daughter gave me - lol!

Michele McLaughlin said...

Wonderful! I love all your pockets and your colors are perfect for the fall! Hugs!

Jasmine said...

What a beautiful purse/tote. Choosing fabrics for a purse is the hardest part for me.

claudia said...

That is such a cute bag for fall! I think those would make great Christmas gifts...or to put gifts in!

Kate said...

A very cute and functional little bag. Perfect colors for fall!