Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Wednesday, January 4, 2017

I Like Thursday #12 - Happy New Year!

I hope your 2017 is off to a good start!  I found this on New Year's Eve, and because I'm never far from my current book, I liked the message!


It's cold and snowy where I live again, so I am dreaming of the beach.  In just two weeks, I get to visit the Gulf of Mexico, and I'm so excited!  Living in land-locked Colorado, we try to plan a trip to the ocean as often as we can.  I love the sound of the water and the immense views of it, as far as you can see.

Last fall we visited the Pacific Coast, near Bodega Bay.


This is my hubby, walking along the beach to check out a ship wreck in the distance.

I really like to pick up stones and shells as we walk along.  I usually end up with the pockets of whatever I'm wearing full of things I've picked up to bring home.  I often end up with a pocketful of sand, too!  My house is full of bowls of shells and rocks that I've collected from all over the place.  They are my favorite collection!


I love to carry a stone or shell in my hand, wondering about where it has been, and what it's seen. Yesterday, I was cleaning and straightening up in my sewing room, and found a big bag of beach stones that I hadn't looked at in a long time.  I think they're from our trip to the Oregon coast in 2015.  

I definitely ❤ these!



We like to have tea in the afternoons, especially in the winter.  Here's one of my favorite teas.


The Celestial Seasonings tea headquarters is in Boulder, Colorado, and not too far from where I live.  They have a great tour and even a tasting room.  Often, when we go to Boulder, we have to stop off at their tea shop and stock up on our favorites.  If you were to come visit me, I would take you for the tour, too!

Do you like quiche?  I love it, but I am a lazy cook, so I decided to try this version of it from Costco.  (Their samples worked on me!)


It came with two quiches in the package, so I baked one and froze the other.  I really liked it, and the leftovers were tasty, too!

Did I mention that I was cleaning in my sewing room yesterday?  Not my favorite way to spend time in there, but it needed to be done!  I had fun rearranging my "objets d'art" and came up with this - 


I was given that Little Penguin card when I retired, and I just had to keep it.  The Beanie baby Monkey is, of course, a gift from my hubby one Valentine's Day.  Can you guess what is in the red and white tin?  Maybe you can if you are one of my Rainbow Scrap Challenge buddies!

And speaking of cold and snowy, I just had to share this and thank LeeAnna for it!  I won this beautiful knitted cowl that she made in a giveaway she had a few weeks ago, and today I wore it all day.  So perfect for our Colorado weather. (I don't think it got much above 10 degrees!)


Do you like my model?!  I'm not one for selfies, so Mickey agreed to stand in for me!  Lol!  Thank you, LeeAnna!

Happy Thursday, all, and enjoy the rest of your week!  For more I Like Thursday inspiration, check out LeeAnna's blog, Not Afraid of Color.  She got me started on this journey, and it is a lovely one!













8 comments:

Libby in TN said...

I have been known to move boxes of rocks from house to house. I don't know what the attraction is ... I'm particularly intrigued with gemstones. And geodes!

Michele McLaughlin said...

What a great post!!! I love your collections of pebbles and sea shells (am so envious of your sand dollar! Wowsa!). Have a wonderful day and stay warm!!

Sheila said...

I really liked your "I like post"!! Your stones are lovely, I used to collect interesting stones and sometimes I would paint them...maybe I will start doing that again in 2017!! I am intrigued by the Celestial Seasonings tour...hmmm :) Happy New Year!!

LA Paylor said...

I collect stones and have one from a recent trip to the shore, that I want to make into jewelry. Thank you for sharing the I Like journey Dian. Glad you like the cowl! Micky is stylin'
LeeAnna

PaintedThread said...

I have my piles of shells, stones and sea glass I've picked up on Cape Cod. I really like your heart bowl - that's a great way to display them.

claudia said...

I collect rocks and shells as well. My daughter has an extensive collection of beach glass. I have some of that too, but no where near what she has.
I love quiche, but can't eat it. I'm allergic to eggs. Boo! My favorite dinner when I could eat them was omelets. LeeAnna does the nicest stuff. Congratulations on winning the scarf.

scraphappy said...

Looks like a great start to a new year. Those river rocks in a heart bowl are such a great collection. Especially because they come with memories.

Kate said...

Lots of fun favorites. We used to live near the Gulf of Mexico, I miss the ocean breezes in the summer.