Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Saturday, October 22, 2016

A Few More Scraps

This week I had the chance to work on a couple of other projects that were in my pile.  I stitched up four string blocks for Covered in Love.  These are for the October block drive.


These are fast and fun to make!  Kat said anything goes for color and fabric choices, so I had fun just pulling the strings out of my scrap basket and sewing away.  They finish at 10 1/2 inches.

I also used some of the Autumn Jubilee blocks I made last week to sew a fall mini quilt.


After sewing together the four blocks, I added 1 1/2 inch borders in the background fabric, layered it with a fun backing, and quilted it using edge to edge wavy lines.  The quilting reminds me of all the wind we've had here recently - which brought most of the leaves around here down into our yard!  Lots of raking has been done here this week, too!


Since I don't have a mini quilt stand for displaying little projects like this, I pinned it up in the corner of our bedroom, right next to my antique chair that holds the pillow I made out of the same fall fabrics.  I like it there!


That does leave one poor orphan maple leaf block still sitting on my cutting table.  But I don't think it will be alone for long!  I'm thinking it would be fun to make these blocks in all kinds of colors - my next Rainbow Scrap Challenge project, perhaps?  Hmmm...  So many ideas to consider!


Linking up with my favorite Sunday party - Oh Scrap! at Quilting is More Fun than Housework!  





10 comments:

Ariane said...

I love your fall wall hanging. It's super cute! Your strings blocks are great. I like the idea of using the maple leaf blocks for the rainbow scrap challenge.

margaret said...

loving the fall hanging autumn coloirs are my favourite.
string blocks are such a good way of using scraps

Kate @ Smiles From Kate said...

Lovely autumn mini quilt, it looks great on the wall matching the cushion on your lovely chair. I like your bright and cheerful string blocks too.

Kathy S. said...

That's adorable. AND you found the perfect place to hang it. Nice job.

Kate said...

Beautifully done! It looks perfect hanging in there next to the chair. It would be a fun block for the RSC next year.

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

You know I love those string blocks!! I still need to make some leaf blocks but it might be spring before I ever get to them. Thanks for sharing all your lovely blocks with Oh Scrap!

Vic in NH said...

Really pretty decorating with the antique bentwood chair and its pillow near the wall hanging. Those small quilt hangers are so affected and tacky, but your arrangement is ready for the magazine shoot from BH&G!

Karen said...

Your fall mini quilt is beautiful. String blocks are always fun to make especially for a charity drive.

Tanya Quilts in CO said...

I love the fall mini quilt and that looks like a cozy spot for it!

Linda said...

I love string blocks! And I love your mini quilt, and yes that is the perfect place for it. I like your idea about making the blocks in rainbow colors.