Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Saturday, July 9, 2016

Wonky Stars

After finishing up last week's heart mini for my friend,


I decided to make a few red, white, and blue stars for Covered in Love.  You can find out more about Kat's July charity quilt/block drive at her blog, Kat and Cat Quilts.  I decided to make Wonky Stars (some people call them Maverick Stars - does anyone know the difference?), and used this tutorial just to make sure I was on the right track to end up with 12 1/2 inch stars.


These stars are fast and fun to make - so fun, in fact, that I decided I wasn't done making them yet!  So I made a couple more (6 inch blocks this time) - to go along with July's watermelon colors for the Rainbow Scrap Challenge.


Then I turned them into some summery new mug rugs for our morning coffee spot out in the family room.


Definitely fun!

Hope you are all having a lovely weekend! It's hot here - 97 degrees this afternoon - so I'm going to spend some more time down in the cool basement where my sewing room is!  And tomorrow I'll be linking up to Oh Scrap! over at Cynthia's blog, Quilting is More Fun than Housework.  See you there!








6 comments:

SandraC said...

Love the watermelon fabric. I always want to start making mug rugs, but haven't so far. Maybe I'll be inspired by you!

Jayne said...

What a busy, busy lady! Lots of fun projects! Love the little heart you made for your friend!

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

Love all your blocks! I was hoping to make some star blocks for Kat this month too. Your new summertime mug rugs are cute. Thanks for sharing with Oh Scrap!

Kate said...

The watermelon blocks are very summery and very fun.

Alison V. said...

The watermelon ones are SO CUTE!

Sandy Panagos said...

What fun blocks! By definition a maverick is "an unorthodox or independent-minded person" so that's probably why the stars are sometimes called maverick stars, they don't follow the rules. I like them!