Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Sunday, August 30, 2015

Two Finishes!

My Scrappy Strings quilt grew on me this week as I finished up the quilting, decided on the binding, and threw it in the wash.  Somehow, I have ended up loving it and very pleased with the finish!


Although it is hard to see in the photo above, I think the binding choice made all the difference.  I auditioned several different ideas for a few days, and finally decided it needed to be the tone on tone green that is already in the quilt.  Just this morning, I was reading on the Sew Mama Sew blog that scrappy quilts need to have an "organizing" fabric.  Well, in retrospect, that is what the green is for this busy, bright, scrappy quilt.  I think you can see it a little better in the photo below.


This quilt is going to Tanya, who blogs at Tanya Quilts in CO, for her nursing home quilt drive.  She asked that the quilts be at least 60 x 60 and this one turned out to be about 61 x 61, so should be perfect.  I hope a special senior citizen will get a lot of comfort out of this quilt!

I also made myself a new bag this week!  This is made from the tutorial making a tote bag out of a charm pack from Missouri Star Quilt Co.  I think it is actually three totes from one charm pack, but I only ever make one!  I wanted one with fall colors, and I think this will work. I hate buying new purses, and love the size of this tote bag for what I need.


I modified the original pattern just a bit, and added some divided pockets inside attached to the lining.  I just got a new phone and wanted a pocket that the phone would fit in.  I also sewed in a magnetic snap and love how that works!


Two finishes this week mean that I have to decide what to work on next.  Maybe it will be my Scrap Vortex?  Or start something new?  Probably both!  

Linking up with Quilting is More Fun Than Housework for Oh Scrap!


8 comments:

Kat said...

I really like your string quilt!

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

Your string quilt turned out great! I agree, the binding was a perfect choice and really tied it together. How sweet of you to donate it. It will make someone's day when it is gifted!

Thanks for sharing with Oh Scrap!

gayle said...

Start something new! 8) (I always say that...) (That doesn't mean it's bad advice...)
I love your string quilt. It will be someone's best gift ever.

Joanne said...

Your strings are terrific and they will no doubt be a comfort for someone.

Linda said...

I'm in love with your string quilt too! I went back to your older posts and read how you got started on it. I recognize a couple of your fabrics that I have also, and your are so right about the green tying it all together. Love the negative space too. What a cute bag - I hate buying purses too. Btw did your Mom like the bag you gave her for her cruise?

Jasmine said...

Congrats on both finishes. The green was a great choice for the binding and does unify the quilt. Thanks for sharing.

Tanya Quilts in CO said...

We are so excited to get the string quilt for our charity quilt drive! A string quilt is on my to do list, so seeing yours is great inspiration. Thank you for your generosity!

Lara B. said...

Diann, someone is going to love that quilt very much! Scrappy Strings turned out so great and it is wonderful of you to donate it.
That was an interesting tip about using an "organizing fabric" with scrappy quilts. Well your binding was perfect for sure.
Love your bag too - very cute!