Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Friday, July 3, 2015

Playing with Scraps

Since I had a big finish (for me!) last week, I decided to dedicate this week to playing with my scraps. While browsing the Oh Scrap link-up last Sunday, I was inspired to start working on a String Quilt, something that's been on my quilty bucket list for quite awhile.  I went back to Cynthia's Scrap-a-Palooza quilt from last August to get the scoop on how these blocks are made.  After re-reading that series of posts, I pulled out this inspiration fabric from my stash.  I love the blue, green, and cream, and that bright orange that really catches your eye!

I don't have very much of it, so I cut a few strings from it to add into the blocks, but I was also able to choose a bunch of fabrics to go with it that are ending to make a very fun combination!


I have also added some dark gray and cream fabrics, plus more with the blue, green, and orange theme.  My scraps aren't necessarily cut into strings, so I have had to do quite a bit of cutting as I go along, but since I just need various widths and don't need to worry about the length, that has gone fast! The other thing I needed to find was some muslin for the foundation of these blocks, and lo and behold, I had some! So, here is what has happened so far:


I think I like where this is going!  But I definitely need a lot more.  I'm a slowpoke at these kinds of projects, but I do have fun just making a block or two whenever the inspiration strikes!

Also, my Scrap Vortex quilt is growing!


Don't you just love my Design Floor?!

And one last WiP to share... I am not much of a gardener.  In fact, I have a bit of a brown thumb for just about everything except petunias, but I am so proud of my tomato in a pot.  It's big, green, healthy, and has lots of tomatoes on it!  Yay!  Can't wait to start eating them!


Okay, getting back to work  playing with my scraps!  Linking up with Oh Scrap!


6 comments:

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

Both quilts are looking great! What scrappy fun you are having in your sewing room.

gayle said...

I'm going to make a string quilt one of these years. I'm glad you're making one that I can enjoy vicariously! Love the colors, especially that orange. 8)

Linda @ kokaquilts said...

Both projects are looking lovely & scrappy, enjoy playing with your scraps!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Thanks so much! I am liking the orange, too! It's a color that has grown on me recently!

Sandra Walker said...

I just said to Cynthia that I really would like to have done this Scrap Vortex, but I didn't want it to be a headache-inducing quilt...she controlled her colours and all the blues in yours is calming, so I might just try this yet. As for the string quilt, made it, it's addicting, and I want to make another! Um the pile of strips (and I had a lot already cut) did not seem to go down like I expected...

Lara B. said...

"Design floor" LOL Diann, your string quilt is going to be amazing. I loved this pattern when I saw it at Cyndy's too.
And Wow, a Scrappy Vortex, which looks like it's coming along great too! You are going to use up a lot of your scraps for sure.