Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Tuesday, April 15, 2014

A Scrappy Rainbow

Since January, I have been following along with Quilting is More Fun Than Housework's Scrap-a-Palooza series.  Scrappy quilts are my favorites these days, and I had noticed that Cyndy has a wonderful way of making her scrappy quilts look so "put together!"  I wanted that for mine!  So I decided to give one of her ideas a go.

January's project was bars of fabric cut out of chunks of your scraps in various widths, but all 5 inches high.  I pulled lots of fabric choices with the idea of making my bars in rainbow colors.  I was actually surprised at  how many scraps I had that would work for this purpose!  One of my favorite parts of making a quilt from scraps is finding bits of my favorite fabrics to include.  I love these stars, moons, and suns!



 
 
They went to gether to form this:
 



I have to admit I didn't have anything in my stash to make the sashing, so I hit Hobby Lobby last weekend and found a nice, neutral, cream-colored floral that worked nicely.  I cut my sashing at 5 inches wide also, so that I could get the size of the quilt top up to about 40 inches by 50 inches.  I think this will make a fun baby quilt for someone.  And if not a gift for someone, certainly a quilt I have enjoyed putting together, which is all I seem to  need these days!

Linking up this week with Sew Cute Tuesday and Needle and Thread Thursday.

Happy Sewing!
Diann

2 comments:

Jane said...

I hear you, I love scrappy quilts but they need to look like they work together - I love your use of colour.

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

It looks great Dianne! Love how you tied the quilt together by making the last bar a complete rainbow...brilliant!

Thanks for sewing along!